Wednesday, 1 February 2012

First Five Days of School

I just need to put it out there... My class is awesome! These kids are fun and utterly adorable.

This week was very interesting. Here on the Gold Coast, we had such terrible weather. In fact, school closed due to flooding on Wednesday. Check out the damage just 10 minutes from home!

Between that and the testing we had to get through, the students did have a bit of a dull week, but, thankfully, my supervising teacher and I made clear that if we got through the work, then we would play a couple games. Bribes work!!

Monday, was the big day. Each child received their Macbooks (thanks to the school's Year 5 1:1 laptop program). The excitement in the room was insane. This group of students seem to thrive with the independence to the point where they are such little adults. Getting their own laptop was such a highlight for them.

On my part, this means I have to brush up on my use of ICTs in the classroom. Starting off, we are going to go through elements of Digital Citizenship. The plan for our class is to study these in depth before the laptops can be brought home. I am thinking of using the Big Huge Labs website to make posters about each of the nine elements.

Monday evening was the Parent Info night. It was a good to see the parents again (after the first day of school) and hear about more about their children. Not being a parent myself, it was good to see the structure of how these evenings are structured.

Well, my first five days are over. I will be volunteering in the class so that, come my lead-in days, I can start teaching asap.

No comments:

Post a Comment