This one worked incredibly well. I used it during my last prac in a Year 3 class.
You say this at a normal volume (your "indoor voice"). The students closest to you hear you and clap once. The ripple effect takes care of the rest. I've never had to do it more than three times.
Best of all, you save your voice. I am still building up my resilience and lose my voice often.
Yesterday, I visited the kiddies. I tried out the WBT model's Class-Yes. So much fun being able to change your voice. It did get their attention, but it was incredibly hard holding their attention and having them stay focused after two seconds. They were hypo!! Now I am going to blame this on the teacher theory:
windy days means crazy kids.
Do you think it's true?
I did take it to heart though. But, perseverance! Next time.
Also, if there are any of my followers that I have not, in return, followed, let me know. I have not been able to find links back to your blogs. Please leave me a comment :)
And finally, Leea from Set this Circus Down Newbie Blog Linky Party and a Giveaway. Join if you're new at blogging. There's a $25 up for grabs. BUT! It's being drawn on the 9th. Quick! Quick!
Have a good day/night all xx


Hi Emmy,
ReplyDeleteThanks for following me! I'm so excited I just started my blog a couple of weeks ago and you're my first follower! I'm a student teacher as well, starting my first practicum next month. I'm definitely going to try your strategy about clapping my hands to get the children's attention, seems like such a good idea to have control of the class while still saving your voice :D
Satya
I'm your first follower? Yay!
DeleteI've only been blogging for just over a month. Addicted! I used to check Facebook first, but now it's my dashboard to read up what every one is doing.
First prac?! Fun!! Hope you have the most amazing experience.
Definitely try the attention grabber. It's funny seeing four-ish kids clapping first time right up to all 28 of them by the third time.
xx
I clap my hands, which is common in just about all the schools.
ReplyDeleteMy favorite is counting down from 10 or 5. Speeds them up!
Also I say, "If you can hear me, touch your nose. If you can hear me, touch your head." The little ones love it!
Journey of a Substitute Teacher
Counting down works so well. It's that whole challenge thing - instant action!
DeleteI found you through the newbie link! I have heard of using wind chimes, music, and other "distinctive sounds" instead of clapping to get teh students attention.
ReplyDeleteMisty
Think, Wonder, & Teach
Oh, I haven't seen wind chimes.
DeleteI had a prac in a Prep (Kindergarten) class and my teacher would use a pack up song. By the time it finished, everything had to be tidy and all students had to be sitting on the floor. Worked so well.
Love the newbie linky! Thanks for stopping by.