Lightbulb!
"Can I maybe take over instead?"
So now, Tuesday afternoons are all mine.
This term, we are looking at bullying.
We start by revising the five types of bullying (exclusion, lies/rumours, verbal, physical and threats). Then a quick worksheet where groups come up with specific examples of bullying they see on the playground (e.g. pushing, not allowing someone to join a game, calling someone names, etc) and rate each of these according to how frequently they see it.
We did all this within 20 minutes. I have another 20 minutes to play with!
So a quick YouTube clip I've used on another prac.
We discussed the types of bullying they saw in this clip.
Then, Pinterest Steal #1:
I gave each kiddie a piece of paper and asked them to draw a stick figure. We called ours Sam. Sam is new in school. He has had troubles making friends. I tell the kids that we think this is funny.
I ask them to tell Sam, "You're weird." They do that.
Tell him, "You're a geek."
Point and laugh at him.
Tell him, "You're so skinny and ugly."
Tell him, "Go away, you can't play with us."
Every time we say some, we scrunch up a corner of the paper until it is a ball. They also pinched, scratched, punched and threw the paper.
And they were actually having a good time doing this.
We stopped, unfolded and tried to smooth the paper out. A couple had rips on the side.
I told the group to notice how, despite trying to make Sam better, he was still in a bad state. I asked the class to say sorry to their Sam. I said that even though we said sorry to Sam and tried our hardest to get him back to normal, he had scars that would not heal. We have to think how our actions may leave scars on people.
As the pin says, "The looks on the faces of the children in the classroom told [me] the message hit home.
Click here to see pin.
To conclude the lesson, we reflected on what the Sam activity meant to us. One girl made a lovely comment - he was still smiling.
Pinterest Steal #2:
From A Teacher's Treasure!
From A Teacher's Treasure!
Mor's Post It Parking Lot was something I knew I'd want to try out when I pinned it over three months ago.
Here's mine:
Kids choose to write about
1) Something I learned.
Here's mine:
(I have to make a new one. Made this in a rush)
Kids choose to write about
1) Something I learned.
2) Something I did not understand.
3) A question.
Worked a treat. And best of all! I keep the post-its in my binder as proof of assessment! Great tool to see their thinking and how I may need to differentiate and improve my teaching.
Hope every one has recovered over this weekend and that you're ready for another week
xx
Love both your ideas Emmy! The bullying lesson would be great for anti-bullying week! And I love how you can use the post it strategy in pretty much any grade level :D Thanks for sharing :)
ReplyDeleteHi Emmy!!
ReplyDeleteThanks so much for stopping by my blog!! I loved reading about what your are doing with your kids to talk about bullying. I am getting my Character Development certificate right now and taking classes that deal with character education and bullying and it makes a huge difference making kids aware of how their actions and words can hurt other people! Also, I remember my 7th grade teacher doing a demonstration similar to your paper one, but with a metal can and a hammer. Same effect and so powerful I still remember it to this day! Thanks for sharing your great ideas!!
Molly
Lessons with Laughter
Hi Emmy:
ReplyDeleteThank you for considering my blog worthy of an award. Although this “Thank you” message is arriving late, it is still sent with heartfelt gratitude.
I am truly appreciative.
http://joyin6th.blogspot.com/2012/03/make-up-homework-part-1.html
Kim
Finding JOY in 6th Grade
No problem Kim xx
DeleteLove the parking lot! Another idea I have used previously with a small group I taught at my church is a "Graffiti Board." It's basically a giant sheet of paper decorated to look like "bricks" and the kids use neon marker to "graffiti" questions, wonderings, new ideas. I think they just like to seem rebellious with some "graffiti!"
ReplyDeleteThat's awesome! Cool idea.
DeleteGlad I found your blog on the linky party! You have some great ideas and I love how you share the resources you've found. I'm a new follower!
ReplyDeleteJenny
http://luckeyfrogslilypad.blogspot.com/
Thanks for popping over =D
Delete